Re: non-linear narratives (really!)

The Hobbit is great, and it has a different tone than
the Fellowship and the others. Those 4 books shaped my
entire youth and adolescence...if you're preparing for
the movie, depending on when you want to see it will
depend on how much 'research' you want to do...but
reading those books will be an experience you will
treasure!

--- Matthew Mesina <soberman_69 at hotmail_com> wrote:

<HR>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A short while ago, I
made a cursory attempt at reading Annie Dillard's "For
the Time Being".&nbsp; Anyone read that one?&nbsp; It
looked to be really fascinating at the store, but I've
had the hardest time getting into it.&nbsp; It has a
sort of non-linear structure that I thought I'd
like.&nbsp; I loved Haruki Murakami's "Hard-Boiled
Wonderland and the End of the World", which employed
this technique.&nbsp; (Warning: may offend some
Christians for frank discussions of casual
sex.)&nbsp;&nbsp; However, that book was fiction, and
Annie's is not.&nbsp; Perhaps that is why I can't wrap
my brain around it?&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Now, I'm done with
classes for the time being (pun), and am
faced&nbsp;with a few literary choices: 1.
FTTB&nbsp;2. Stack of comic books&nbsp;accumulated
throughout the semester and 3.&nbsp; Lord of the
Rings- before the film arrives and forever destroys
any chance I may have of reading it with my own
imagination at play.&nbsp; Or, I could just read "The
Hobbit" in preparation for the flick.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I ask you, my literate
cyber-friends, what should I do?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Matt</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>ps- sorry if I just sent a prior&nbsp;empty
message.&nbsp; I'm using the computer at school, and
it ain't 'zactly like mine.</DIV></div><br
clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer
at <a