non-linear narratives (really!)

Hello,

     A short while ago, I made a cursory attempt at reading Annie Dillard's "For the Time Being".  Anyone read that one?  It looked to be really fascinating at the store, but I've had the hardest time getting into it.  It has a sort of non-linear structure that I thought I'd like.  I loved Haruki Murakami's "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World", which employed this technique.  (Warning: may offend some Christians for frank discussions of casual sex.)   However, that book was fiction, and Annie's is not.  Perhaps that is why I can't wrap my brain around it?
     Now, I'm done with classes for the time being (pun), and am faced with a few literary choices: 1. FTTB 2. Stack of comic books accumulated throughout the semester and 3.  Lord of the Rings- before the film arrives and forever destroys any chance I may have of reading it with my own imagination at play.  Or, I could just read "The Hobbit" in preparation for the flick.
     I ask you, my literate cyber-friends, what should I do?

thanks,

Matt

ps- sorry if I just sent a prior empty message.  I'm using the computer at school, and it ain't 'zactly like mine.