Re: holy socks and music needs

on 11/27/01 10:17 AM, rhys daily at shadow at teuton_org wrote:

> i have worn a hole in my last good pair of socks, time to get more.
>
> and my ears are bored. border bored bored. this nice goofy gray day has
> got my ears dsperately bored.
>
> i need some ideas for music to get.
>
> some international traditional stuff (like geoffry oryema and oliver
> mtukudzi)

Um, don't know much 'bout international stuff (unless you count Iceland -
Sigur Ros's CD and Bjork's latest are both amazingly beautiful).

> some hard music (sisters of mercy, alice in chains style)

Been doing the Jesus and Mary Chain and Pixies things the past couple of
days. Not necessarily your normal hard music, but JAMC's "Psychocandy" is
pure fuzz-toned goodness. And the Pixies were so amazing. How come all of
their respective stuff since then has pretty much blown imo (save The
Breeders' "Last Splash" CD)?

> some other good just to listen to music.

Dashboard Confessional is pretty cool. Also, there's a group from Australia
(guess I knew more about international music than I thought) called the
Avalanches that are more or less 5 DJs. But they construct completely new
things out of mostly 60s soul music samples. Really dense stuff, a la the
Beastie Boys' "Paul's Boutique" CD.