Re: holy socks and music needs

On 11/27/01 12:19 PM, quoth the effervescent shadow at teuton_org at
shadow at teuton_org:

>some hard music (sisters of mercy, alice in chains style)

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again: you just can't beat VNV
Nation. Their new single, Genesis, was out a few weeks ago, and it's just
bloody brilliant. I saw them Saturday night in concert, and while I did
not-- alas!-- this year get to hang with Ronan Harris (the man's a
dreamboat and a charmer and SCADS of fun to talk to plus a few other good
bits), I did have an aurally orgasmic time at the show and got to hear
some of the new stuff from the January-releasing album, Futureperfect,
which takes VNV in a very different, more lyrical, and more introspective
direction while still being straight-to-the-breastbone dancey and driving.

If you want more Sisters of Mercy, you can always go for early Rosetta
Stone. They were really trying to be Sisters v2.0, down to their album
artwork and typeface. But they're actually quite good.

Wolfsheim (wolfs-heim, never wolf-sheim, I was sternly told) is another
grand yet drivingly dancey band (though they do slower-tempo yummies,
too), as are Wumpscut and Covenant. I'd recommend "Thorns" as a track to
sample from the former, and "Dead Stars" for the latter. I'd also ask you
to try Iris, especially "Annie, Would I lie To You?" but I've just
discovered they are, sigh, no more.

These are all under the general heading of EBM, which stands for
Electronic Body Music, and means very little, honest. It's just a
gloriously fun subgenre of electronic music, usually very dance-oriented,
electronic, in a 2/2 time, that affects me like no other. Not in the same
family as OtR, of course-- Karin and Linford's stuff makes me dance, too,
but in an entirely different way. I don't know how to explain it--  I
just love really good music of all brands, I suppose.