Re: holy socks and music needs

on 11/27/01 10:40 AM, Bethany Keeley at blk4 at calvin_edu wrote:

> Hi
> I'm not sure if the sort of things I listen to will be the sort of thing that
> you like, but here you have some of my favorites anyway.  The new Paul
> McCartney album is excellent.  Also, I absolutely love Elvis Costello, and
> Sarah Masen.  There's this band that has played Calvin before -- I saw them
> last spring -- Pedro the Lion.  It's sort of introspective melancholy
> alt-rock.  I guess.  You can hear some mp3s at www.jadetree.com  I have their
> album _It's hard to find a friend_ and I love it, but my dad says "you don't
> want to listen to Pedro if you're already depressed".  I don't know if any of
> these people are interesting to you or if they have even been discussed at
> length before, but I can't resist a request for reccomendations ;).
>
> Bethany

Pedro should definitely be on the list o' recommendations as well. David
Bazan's a really great songwriter, imo. He's a Christian, but doesn't seem
to have much use for the conventional ways of looking at Christianity. "It's
Hard to Find a Friend" is probably my favourite, but "Winners Never Quit" is
also really good, although a bit louder than the others.

Elvis C. is the man, by the way. :)>  I got to see him play a show in Denver
with Steve Nieve. Just the two of them. A piano and a vocalist (and
occasionally an acoustic guitar). Really amazing show.

Layner