Re: OtR in the workplace

matt asked us, after speaking on the introduction of over the rhine in his
workplace:

> How can people be content going through
>  life only listening to music that has been selected for them, relying on
>  souless conglomerates to dictate to them that which is "good"?

if one knows no better, then what can you expect?

honestly, i do believe that without my parents intent love for music, i
wouldn't understand the whole music thing.  and i must admit that, for a long
time in my childhood, i hated *their style* of music, which included many
great artists that i now listen to...

for instance, when we would take family vacations, we would all bring tapes
to listen to, and we would take turns.  my tapes at that time would be things
like debbie gibson and new kids (whoo hoo!) but my parents would bring *death
music* like judy collins and the like.  *laughing*  how funny it was to
realize several months ago, listening to the brilliant dar williams that i
had purchased one of the self-same cds that had infuriated me as a child!

anyway, when all you have been exposed to includes the beautiful world that
is pop music, then of course over the rhine is *way* too heavy for you!  i
know of many people who just can't appreciate over the rhine for whatever
reason...and although it is sad for us, i should think that it is ok.  they
may be wondering why we can't appreciate their favorite band as much as they
do (jeff, 311 comes to mind...)

as for the whole minor = sadness thing, i laughed at that!  in my first year
at duquense i had amanda ford as a teacher, and she helped to get that
thought out of our heads.  she played some beautiful things she improved, the
major piece making us want to cry and the minor piece making us smile,
thinking of happy times.  strange?  yes...for not many people have that
power.  i think over the rhine does...but you have to have an open mind to
hear it.

happy tuesday, everyone!

*hugz and kisses*
jessyka