Re: Request and New Thread

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Don Smith wrote:
> I went with some friends, and we went to a pub afterward and talked for
> well over an hour about connections, physics, dreams, all kinds of
> stuff.  That, to me, is what movies at their best are all about, and I
> have no reservations about giving Waking Life four stars.

Hmmm, one of the reasons I *didn't* care for _Waking Life_ all that much
-- certainly not enough to give it four stars -- is that there was no
topic of conversation in the film that I hadn't *already* discussed with
friends of mine.  The film basically regurgitated a lot of college-campus
coffee-house chit-chat, but added nothing to my vocabulary.  I guess I
prefer films like _Memento_ and _The Matrix_, which provide new ways of
addressing these themes by raising them within some sort of narrative.

Having said that, though, if there's anyone out there who hasn't pondered
these issues (and there probably is), then I guess they should see this
movie.  And the computer animation was pretty cool, much of the time.

> Suddenly, after a looong dry spell, there are about six movies playing
> that I want to go see.  I got to "The Man Who Wasn't There" . . .

Man, I listened to Beethoven piano sonatas for *days* after seeing that
one.  What a sad, sad film.

> . . . and "Waking Life", and now I need to see "Amelie" and "Novocaine"
> before they move on.

_Amelie_ is entertaining, but depending on how you look at it, it's either
just frivolously hyper-active or kinda profound.  Either way, I rather
like the soundtrack -- samples of which you can listen to at:

http://peter.chattaway.com/music/amelie/amelie.m3u

I admit, I'm biased towards the piano there.  BTW, have you heard Howard
Shore's soundtrack to _The Fellowship of the Ring_ yet?  It's already out
on CD, and I like it a lot -- I think it bodes well for the film.