Re: Request and New Thread

EXCELLENT!!   I'm thrilled that others of you have seen it!  I have to agree
with both Don and Jeff and give it four stars -- at least.  Like Jeff, I see
a BOATLOAD of movies, and this one struck me in large part by it's
difference alone.  In fact, many of Peter's reasons for "not caring for" the
movie are things that I loved about it.  I, too, had most of those
conversations back in my college days.  I guess a large part of me misses
them, but the film also made me realize that I've let my interrogative
imagination fall asleep, so to speak.  I find I no longer really question
the order of things, and that works against me.  I've been trying to start
writing again, lately -- something I used to do a lot -- and this movie made
me realize that much of my trouble stems from thinking inside the box.  Case
in point -- I've seen it twice now, the second time with 2 friends who hated
it.  They thought the ideas and philosophies presented are absolute crap.
One tried to make the whole thing seem absurd by saying that he could have
gotten into that movie just by saying that gravity is actually caused by a
race of invisible trolls who pull everything down, and our life is nothing
more than a struggle to fly.  He was trying to be silly and absurd, but I
realized that even in that, he basically came up with a workable idea for a
fantasy novel.  I felt very small and uncreative just then.  Also, I can see
where Peter (or anyone else) might be disenchanted with the lack of
narrative, or anything more than a skeletal plot at best.  I found that
completely in character for the film.  The way the animation and visual
styles complemented and enhanced the dialogue was outright breathtaking.  I
thought it was an "art film" in a fuller sense than anything I've seen in a
long time -- if ever.  I walked out feeling more awake than I think I have
in years.  By the way, Don, I totally agree with your analysis of the "holy
moment" scene, but beyond justifying the film, it succeeded in exploding my
awareness of the numinous aspects of everyday life.  That's a result I
rarely get from anything other than OTR music or certain books (almost never
from films), and that's well worth the $15 I've dropped so far, and the
money I'm sure I'll spend on it again.

Wow, guess I turned a review into some crazy kind of personal monologue,
there.  For those of you who haven't seen it, I hope that's not overbuilding
it -- it's just the way the movie connected with me.  I hope more of you
have opinions!

JeffO