Re: which disc to lend...

> > A friend of mine will be acompanying me to the Calvin > show this December, and he's not too familiar with   > OTR, like,
>
> Tell me you did not just type "like"  You're a calvin student!  Have some pride!

oh, and it gets better, I am an english major also.  However, I write in my own dialect, which is, I am sorry to say, midwest teenage girl *ducks whatever anyone may throw at her*

> > the only OTR he's heard is when I've had it going in > my room and he stopped by.
>
> what did he think?

He didn't really comment either way, but he's really got his heart set on this concert, which I don't understand much at all.  Even though I told him I will probably get in line at about 5:30 or so.

> > He wants to borrow a CD and I can't decide which      > would be best to give him.  I have TWHF, GDBD,       > Amateur Shortwave, and FFR.  What do you-all think
> > would be the best introduction to OTR?
>
> I  think that Amateur or GDBD is the best introduction.  Not necessarily the best album, but the best intro.

that's funny, because those were the first two I had.  And I love OTR now, so perhaps that's a good way to go.

> > Actually, this isn't really his type of music at     > all.  he listens to, like, metallica and rap.
>
> Ahhhh!!!  Stop now!  Don't lend him the cd!  Just kidding.  This does make it somewhat harder to suggest a CD though.  OtR does not have TOO much in common with either of those genres.  I suppose he could be a tasteful metal head with a penchant for the classic and artistic modes of rap.  In this case I would go for Amateur of the albulms that you listed.  it is a pity you don't have Besides because I think that might be even better.

That's what I was thinking too.  he's doesn't really have descriminating tastes in literature or music.  Strange dealings I say.  I haven't heard much of besides, although I may blow all my money at the show on otr merch and cds.

> > I think he's going to impress me.  This sort of thing > didn't used to happen to me, until I was about 17.   > What a strange experience.
>
> Welcome to Calvin.  Home of the M.R.S.  It's not just for young women anymore.

See, but here's the wierd thing, we have established on several occasions (sometimes because of the prompting of his extremely jealous then-girlfriend) that we could never date, because we are pretty much opposites.  He's all sports and sciences and rap music for goodness sake.  And I love literature and music groups like Over the Rhine and their ilk, and I am about as indifferent to sports as one can be.  But it is true.  The flirtation
here is extreme.

> Steve Swanson
> Class of '01

congrats!  What did you graduate with?
Happily single (well, most of the time happily)
Bethany

np: nothing because my roommate's on the phone