Re: which disc to lend...

-- BEGIN included message

> A friend of mine will be acompanying me to the Calvin > show this December, and he's not too familiar with   > OTR, like,

Tell me you did not just type "like"  You're a calvin student!  Have some pride!

> the only OTR he's heard is when I've had it going in > my room and he stopped by.

what did he think?

> He wants to borrow a CD and I can't decide which      > would be best to give him.  I have TWHF, GDBD,       > Amateur Shortwave, and FFR.  What do you-all think
> would be the best introduction to OTR?

I  think that Amateur or GDBD is the best introduction.  Not necessarily the best album, but the best intro.

> Actually, this isn't really his type of music at     > all.  he listens to, like, metallica and rap.

Ahhhh!!!  Stop now!  Don't lend him the cd!  Just kidding.  This does make it somewhat harder to suggest a CD though.  OtR does not have TOO much in common with either of those genres.  I suppose he could be a tasteful metal head with a penchant for the classic and artistic modes of rap.  In this case I would go for Amateur of the albulms that you listed.  it is a pity you don't have Besides because I think that might be even better.

> I think he's going to impress me.  This sort of thing > didn't used to happen to me, until I was about 17.   > What a strange experience.

Welcome to Calvin.  Home of the M.R.S.  It's not just for young women anymore.

Steve Swanson
Class of '01

-- END included message