Re: here's a question- (otr content!)

Melanie Shannon wrote:

> john-
>
> thank you so much for your response- so insightful, and right on the
> mark (in my opinion).

<blush>

> it's so interesting to think of otr songs as psalms.  i'll have to think
> about that as i listen anew.  the psalms have such an honest quality
> about them- a way of working out a reconciliation between one's humanity
> and God's holiness.  or maybe not reconciliation, but an acknowledgement
> of the disparity between the two.  make sense?  i certainly hope so-
> because it's also one of the greater things i have always loved about
> over the rhine.

OtR definitely have that sense of mystery re: the Divine that was so
celebrated by writers like Fredeick Beuchner, GK Chesterton, or even CS
Lewis, but which is missing from most mdern expressions of Protestant
faith. The utter *difference* between us humans and the Divine is
something that I think comes out in OtR songs-- "Within, Without" comes
ot mind as a good example of this. Actually, I think "Eve" focused on
this to an extent. "My Love is a Fever" kind of pictures love as an
unreckonable force.

Two quotations come to mind, re: mystery and Divninty:

"Tell us, with what words of man may we address such a Being; we cannot
state our case because we are in the dark in the presence of an
unsearchable God." - Job 37:19 (TAB)

"Tao can be talked about, but not the Eternal Tao.
Names can be named. but not the Eternal Name."
  -The Tao Teh Ching

> and probably has something to do with my own current disenchantment with
> evangelical Christianity, et all.  i know i won't fall off the cliff,
> but i'm tired of worrying about its existence so much.

The way I see it, my faith is *mine*. At the end of the day, I'm
responsible for how it makes me act, what it makes me say, etc. If being
just or loving puts me at odds with an established religious group, well
then, it does. I wouldn't be the first. :)

> i'd still be interested in listening to an album where the lyrics
> followed a thread, start to finish.  certainly someone must have done
> that...

People have, but few have done it well. Most of the albums I know of
that are considered "concept albums" aren't a tightly linked together as
you're suggesting though: Sgt. Pepper's or OK Computer or Dark Side of
the Moon, or Zooropa all have recurring themes and seem to flow
together, but aren't what I'd call "following a thread." Elvis Costello
did series of letters with the Brodskey Quartet that was kind
interesting, but difficult (I thought) to listen to. Bjork's newest
album, Vespertine, is thematic- all the songs are supposed to be
"chamber music" for our homes, a celbration of what is daily and
parituclar to us (whch puts a whole other spin on "worship music"). And
"Selmasongs" came from the musical she did ("Dancer in the Dark"), and
thusly have a theme and tell a story.

> anyway, thanks.  and is it just me, or is the list wacky again today?

every day, Melanie, every day. :)

-John

np- Sonny Rollins- Tenor Madness