opposing forces?: missy misdemeanor/otr

Kevin Dobo-Hoffman wrote:

> The question I would like to ask...
>
> What group/artist do you like the most that is NOT
similar (opposite) to
> Over-the-Rhine?

i am wrapped around the middle finger of missy misdemeanor
elliot.... in an attempt to ease out of my otr binge this
weekend, i listenened to "da real world" yesterday.  but i
have a gnawing dissonance when i listen to her...
especially the song that features eminem.  some line like
"there's three things i hate: girls, bitches, and women"
(or something like that) always makes me want to hurry up
and chuck the cd out the window... but then on my way over
to the cd player i get all entranced by the swanky beat,
start shakin' my booty, and chuck my grievances instead.
which is, incidentally, something that never ever happens
while listening to over the rhine.  they just stand for the
sorts of things i stand for; i think the unifying current
in all their lyrics and instrumentations is reverence.
reverence for life, beauty, God, the struggle.  so of
course their music is among the most healing music in my
collection, and of course most of us are drawn to linford
and karin as folks who would be our most dependable and
wise friends (if only we didn't have to look like lunatic
fans upon approaching them).

the moral of the story is that i was really happy when "the
body is a stairway of skin" came out, because now i can
shake my booty without cognitive dissonance.
peace,
-=katherine=-
p.s. lauryn hill is guilt-free booty-shaking as well.  and
arrested development.  maybe i shall make a guilt-free
booty-shakin' mixed tape...
p.p.s. guess i don't lurk anymore... thanks for making me
feel welcomed :-)

=====
Somersault
         **Elias Nandino