Re: dizzing nights and eventful days...

In a message dated 10/14/01 9:23:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
biglight at pacbell_net writes:

> hey, does anyone else have problems talking to linford and karin?  they
> intelligence and language skills far outweigh mine, and i'm so afraid to
> sound like a bumbling idiot around them!  also, what do i do?

     I've had the pleasure of talking with them briefly a few times over the
years (mostly Linford) and after being a complete and utter bumbler a couple
times I found that if I have a few short comments or questions ready ahead of
time it helps a lot.  Linford is a great talker, and most grateful host, and
also knows that it's hard for fans to approach him sometimes so if you ask
him a good question or make an insightful comment he'll do most of the
talking therefore taking the pressure right off.  Of course, as soon as I
walk away I always think of a dozen things I wish I would have shared myself;
the certain lyrics that touch me, other artists that move me, books, God,
but, like you, my head is just reeling too much to get into a nice
spontaneous conversation it seems.  Suggestion - A letter is a much better
medium if you want to share a little of yourself with them.  I've been able
to share with them how deeply their music has touched me much more fully that
way.  I'd highly recommend that if you haven't.  The artist that touched my
life as much if not more, Mark Heard, I never had the chance to talk with and
put off writing a letter too long.  I did finally write one a few months
before that last Cornerstone with him but I'm not sure he had the chance to
read it.  I regret not writing sooner to him whenever I think about it and
wonder if he had the chance to read it.
   Now Karin, that's another story.  I usually just blush, bow, and say over
and over again "I'm not worthy I'm not worthy."  Seriously, I still remember
the first time I *talked* with her.  I happened to be in one of the better
conversations I've had with Linford and Karin walks up, puts her arm around
Linford, smiles at me, says hi, and I suddenly lose the ability to put even
two words together.  Linford noticed immediately of course, and mozies on,
thinking perhaps that I'm just uncomfortable talking to the two of them
together.  I remember staring at my shoes for a bit, trying to think of
something to say then finally, gathering up the courage, look her in the
eyes, and say something like, "I really love your voice Karin" to which she
just smiled and seemed to be waiting for me to say something else.  Finally
after a minute, she smiles again, shakes my hand, says thanks and walks
on...Sometimes there are just no words for stuff that touches you so deeply.
If I may use a  Mark Heard line loosely: "I find the greater verbs blister my
lips"

grace and peace,
kevin