Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #795

my name is amyjoy, and i'm addicted to listees.

i can't believe i'm getting sucked back into talking on a regular basis,
when there are so many other people in the world whom i should be writing to
this very minute.  but you all are just so much fun some days!

please allow me to indulge in a few personal notes:
gail, i like you!  thanks for de-lurking and sharing from your very personal
experiences.  please don't wait another five years to speak up again!

alfred b. johnson, once again you are a voice of balance and thoughtfulness.
  i'll never have the time to read all of your recommendations, though.

johnpauldavis (thanks for your encouraging comments regarding peaceniks and
cynicism) said:
>Besides Shelley, who I know lives out here somewhere, are there any
>Northern California/Pacific Northwest listees?

i'm not sure if they're listees, but i know quite a few otr fans in the
seattle area...jeff, chris, michele?  are you out there?

jg (the one and only, who WILL be getting his cds back from me when i
return.  and how is ian?) said:
>oh,  how i love amyjoy e.!!   what an unexpected surprise in my box to hear
>from her since her mission overseas.
>but, amy,  no,   you have it all wrong.   you're forgiven of course,
>because
>iirc,  you didn't even own a tee-vee  when you lived in cinty,   much less
>are you likely to get buffy the vampire slayer and / or the spin-off show
>angel in  (where?) india.

ok, i really missed the mark on this one!  jess c. also thought i was making
a buffy reference--so sorry to all of you vampire fans!  in fact, though,
buffy is a big hit here in india.  other shows that have made it onto the
english stations include:  friends, 3rd rock, chicago hope, ally mcbeal, the
practice, nypd blue, baywatch hawaii, brooklyn south, police academy, and
any number of movies.  two weeks ago, "so i married an axe murderer" was on
hbo!  actually, i see a lot more of american pop culture here than i did in
the u.s.

but in my defense, doesn't it make perfect sense to assume that any
reference to "willow" on the otr list is referring to
willow-the-coolest-dog-in-the-world, who is an essential part of the otr
family?

>but i do kinda miss you.   how's the mission?    aren't we saving
>prostitutes?   i might have forgotten slightly,  you know how i am.   and
>how are  ~you~?    happy?

i am happy on most days.  there's a lot to both love and hate about this
country.  but it will change you, regardless of where you come from. yes,
i'm working with underaged prostitutes who have recently been brought out of
the brothels.  they're incredible girls.  i think i'll be ready to come back
to the u.s. in december, though.  (or earlier, if we all get evacuated due
to things happening in pakistan.)
i listen to a lot of otr.  and ben harper.  and ani, when i get
angst-ridden.  i just got three british roommates yesterday.  craziness!

overall, i have a lot of confidence that this is where i'm supposed to be
for this six months.  i've found a lot of good friends here, and i've
learned to make good chai!  write to me offlist with all of your questions,
and i'll tell you everything you want to know. =)
(sorry to write a lot of stuff about ME in india for those of you who have
no idea who i am.)

peace,
amyjoy