tragedy (was Re: First and final word.)

on tragedy...

> > 3. Having the elements of tragedy; involving
> death, grief, or
> > destruction: a tragic accident.
>
> This is the looser, generalized, dumbed-down
> definition of the word, yes.

loosers we may well be :)  but whether or not we
evolve in our spoken language to variations on such
vocabulary shouldn't brand us incoherent.  we all know
the quotidian meaning of this word.  and what word has
a "true" meaning anyway? :)  on a bigger level, what
language isn't a dumbed-down version of its former--at
least within the majority of known time?  and then we
come to a bigger level: it's all sign and signifier,
right?  "ha ha" to all the modernists.

nuthin' but love,
j. marie