Re: First and final word.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Peter T. Chattaway wrote:

> > trag·ic (trjk)
> > adj.
> > 1.Relating to or characteristic of dramatic tragedy or tragedies: tragic
> > plays; the tragic hero.
>
> And what is the definition of the "characteristics" of a dramatic
> tragedy? See Aristotle's _Poetics_.

i concede.

however, as much strength, if not more, is given to the idiomatic
definition of a word.

words can change.

> > 3. Having the elements of tragedy; involving death, grief, or
> > destruction: a tragic accident.
>
> This is the looser, generalized, dumbed-down definition of the word,
> yes.

so i'm dumb. that is certainly nothing new to me.

i am not so highly educated or high-thinking as you.

i'm with the common person on the street: tragic is something sad that
happens. something that defies belief.

rhys.