Re: First and final word.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, rhys daily wrote:
> however, as much strength, if not more, is given to the idiomatic
> definition of a word.

Nice use of the passive voice, there.  *Who* gives it this strength?  And
why should that person's opinion matter?

> words can change.

Oh, for sure, but some changes reflect a misunderstanding of what a word
was supposed to mean in the first place, and I tend to resist that.  For
example, I would never use words like "sodomite" and "onanistic" except in
a deliberately ironic sense -- keeping the words in quote marks, as it
were -- because these words are based on misunderstandings about the
biblical stories of Sodom (the sin of which was *not* homosexuality) and
Onan (whose sin was *not* masturbation).  Likewise, the idea that death is
all it takes to make something "tragic" is based on a misunderstanding of
"tragedy".  Not all tragedies end in death and destruction.  There is
something more complicated at work.  And I am not convinced that many of
the things the popular media deems "tragic" fit the bill, whether we're
talking about a flood, the death of Princess Diana, or, well, this.

> > This is the looser, generalized, dumbed-down definition of the word,
> > yes.
>
> so i'm dumb.

Or loose, or general.  Take your pick.  :)

> i'm with the common person on the street: tragic is something sad that
> happens. something that defies belief.

Sorry, even though I make as much use of the streets as anyone else, "the
common person" doesn't hold much sway with me.  It's not like he or she
hasn't been wrong before.