Re: Chris

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Kelvin Bailey wrote:

> > but as for the cheering palestinians...this also
> > really saddens me.  however,
> > i agree with whoever it was (tc in texas maybe?) who
> > said that if we were
> > told that all of our problems were created by those
> > in the united states...we
> > would be dancing and cheering, too.
>
> Doesn't excuse slaughtering THOUSANDS of innocent people.  I believe
> most of the wars, civil wars, terrorism, whatever in the world today
> can be attributed to Islamic terrorists.  But I would never condone
> even the thought of killing innocent Palestinians or innocen Muslims.

i am not at all for cheering when innocent people die. nor am i for
terrorism.

i might re-iterate though, that if symbols of a country you beleived and
had been indoctrinated/brainwashed into believing caused all your
problems, you'd look at it much MUCH differently.  i don't think that
(especially the children) realise that there are faces to their enemy.

have you never felt that nameless formless hatred of a thing? and it just
happened to have people invovled in it?

what was the Cold War about?

what was all the lectures on communism and the evils of communism about?
did you as a child think there were faces to those people living over
there, or was it a huge nameless government EVIL and a country that was
evil?

i remember hating. i remember hate. i remember hating the mexican gov't
and cheering when i was little and the zapatistas killed people connected
with the gov't.  i remember hearing from mom how her family was forced to
flee the country.

not everyone puts faces to those who belong to a country.

but i think terrorism is wrong.

i think it's wrong to cheer when people die, but i can't help seeing the
other side of the matter.

> It's hardly that simiplistic.  There is a GARGANTUAN difference
> between cheering when terrorists who have over the years murdered
> thousands upon thousands of innocent people are found and destroyed,
> and cheering over the deaths of thousands of innocent people murdered
> by those terrorists.  Surely that doesn't need to be pointed out.

no, it doesn't.

> > i, personally, will be hanging my head in sorrow.
>
> As will I.  Not because these actions are wrong, but because it has to
> be done.

and that's the key.

one thing dad mentioned to me when he spoke of possible retributions, and
i don't nkow if it's still done.

used to be when america would 'punitively attack' another country, it was
papered first for a day or two with warnings.

rhys

--
go away, or i will replace you with a very small shell script.