Re: How about a change in topic?

In a message dated 7/26/01 9:28:23 AM Central Daylight Time, FABoyer at aol_com
writes:

<< It seems to me as though the homophobia thread has run its course.

**Woo-hoo, about time!  I didn't feel I should join in on the subject.  It's
too personal for those who are to do the discussion list thingy I think.  My
only comment will be that I was pretty black and white on it all until I
conversed, at length, with a few VERY sincere Christians who were *gasp*
homosexual.  Now things look just a bit grayer to these eyes. )Warning: do
not reply to this comment. I don't want to be responsibe for starting anyhing
up again!)

 >>To the Christians on the list I would ask you to consider (note the word
 consider here... I am not playing God... just seeing if I can plant a seed)
 the possibility that this may not be the place for the extended type of
 interchange that has recently been engaged in here.  This topic in
particular
 rests on presuppositions regarding questions about the nature of God,
 creation, the scriptures, sin, redemption, eternity and so forth... things
 related to one's worldview.

**and you call yourself a pastor!! (Just kidding;-) I can see what you mean.
Our Christianize dialog tends to either be directed at fellow Christians,
leaving others bored or scratching their heads wondering what language is
this they speak? or it becomes high horse evangelism.  I DO think though that
it *is possible* to dialog about things of the faith in mixed company as long
as you-take the time-to understand others views, acknowledge that they, like
you, have come to believe what they believe by a hard road and respect them
and their thoughts and keep it an OPEN forum.  But your right, an 'extended'
interchange between Christians alone is  not what this list is for.  As far
as on topic-off topic goes -- since OtR's music, like good art should, looks
at all of life, I think the full scope of this list should be -- all of life!

 <<That said, what have people been reading? (Trying to do my part to change
the
 topic)  I just started The Hobbit.  I am not a big fantasy fan, but a piece
 on the Mars Hill Audio Journal about the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings
 provoked me to read it.

**Boy do I envy you! Just starting to read the Hobbit!!  I read it, like a
lot of others, long long ago -- but I come back to it and LOtR again every
few years, like an old friend, to check in and see what new things it has to
say to me.  Hope you enjoy it!  But be careful, you may find out what wonders
lie in the reading of fantasy and discover your reading habits changing on
you!

 Currently reading a few at one time:

Jonathan Carrol's new one: The Wooden Sea.  Just a chapter in and NO idea
what to expect.  Carroll is one of those writers who get you laying back in
an easy chair on a sunny afternoon comfortable, then makes the whole world
around you short circuit one bit at a time until you find the world your
seeing has nothing to do with reality as you know it -- you're in uncharted
territory buddy. But it's somehow wonderful and exciting. Then... a spike
slams up out of that easy chair!

Dangerous Wonder: Mike Yaconelli.  Original editor of the Door Mag.  A nice
little book so far.  All about living the life of faith with all the abandon,
wonder, curiosity and grace of a child. Good stuff. Might even find an excuse
for still watching cheezy sci-fi and cartoons in it!

The Five Points of Calvinism -- Weighed and Found Wanting: George L. Bryson.
Very concise short book that presents the TULIP a chapter at a time and then
analyzes them a chapter at a time.  One thing I've found interesting so far
is that he presents the TULIP as a complete system that stands or falls all
together.  There can't be consistent 3-4 points Calvinists he says.

pax,
kevin