Re: homophobia (little otr)

hello :)

> anyway, back to the issue that i thought i would
> keep my mouth shut over.

famous last words :)  i keep telling myself this too,
but this is a neat discussion (as is the
geneaology--sp?).

> *truly* bad about, we fix it. we atone in whatever
> way we see as atonement.
> no matter what we believe, what
> religion/denomination/social class we are.
> right? i know that in my case, that's what i do. if
> i've done something that
> i know is wrong, and i feel bad about it, or if i
> feel bad about how it has
> affected someone i care about or respect, i seek
> forgiveness and i
> (hopefully) don't do it again. sounds reasonable,
> n'est pas?

the part that could be tricky is the accomplishment of
real atonement and real forgiveness :)  different
creeds etc. would subscribe to a variety of ideas and
try to fix things, but some of us believe we need
supernatural help, a specific supernatural help.  that
help comes from a living being: the triune god.  so, i
don't think it's that simple.  my trying to fix
something and actually having it fixed in me are
different things.

and if this were working, i don't think we'd see the
ever-increasing self-help book sections and the
abundant market for healing and counseling.  if the
multiple concessions in our pluralist society worked,
wouldn't we be healthier on the whole?

>which are often misinterpreted anyway.

according to which authority?  and can you claim it's
any more objective or able than any other?

> i believe there is a reason for
> everything...and someone's sexual orientation is
> given to them the same way
> i was given hazel eyes and black hair. end of my
> story. i have too much
> personal evidence to be swayed from that.

yeah, and there's plenty of evidence that all sorts of
things exist from pedofiles to pediatricians.  just
'cause it's there doesn't mean god calls it
righteous/good-enough/blessed etc.

> the biggest cop-out i've ever heard...unless you are
> someone who *really*
> puts that belief into action.

i'm with paul on this one--with the baggy eyes to
prove it :)...some people really do lay down their
lives for others as a lifestyle (with god's help/love
of course!).

take care,
j. marie