Re: Carman

> And then PCG wrote:
>
> >In Carman's
> >case, it's a Saturday-morning-cartoon version of Christianity that is
> >designed to get them hyped up, but will ultimately leave them
> disillusioned.
>
> And you're basing this on the assumption that Carman fans will follow the
> christian and not the Christ?

More or less. More precisely, I'm basing this on the observation that fans
of Carman tend to emulate his theological tendencies.

> It seems that you underestimate the
> *power* of Christ.

Not at all. It's important to remember, however, that Christ requires us to
follow him to the cross.

> Didn't he say that no message sent in his name would
> fall into the void?

Not that I recall.

> >There is no perfect messenger.

Agreed.

> >But it's generally accepted (by most people who care to think about it)
> that art should not be manufactured to appeal to the lowest common
> denominator
>
> Brittney Spears?  Nsync?

Precisely my point.

> >his version of Christianity is a blow to the realities that Jesus
> preached.
>
> Enlighten me.

Jesus preached a gospel of sacrifice and hardship - concepts that don't
market well to the crowd that Carman aims to entertain. Carman's
"descriptions" of what it means to be a Christian are shallow, inaccurate,
and maudlin.  Christ taught and lived a gospel that sweats blood, not one
that parades around in glittery costumes, gyrating to chants of
"VIC-TO-RY!"

> >People like Carman simply
> >because he makes them feel good about themselves.
>
> Norman Vincent Peale said that we have two choices every day--"to feel
> good about ourselves or to feel lousy.  Why would anyone choose the
> latter?"

I'm not suggesting that anyone should. I /am/ suggesting that Carman's
brand of self-worship ain't ministry - it's entertainment. There's nothing
wrong with entertainment, but let's not get all in a lather about how he
"reaches" people.

:)

paul christian glenn  |  pcg at runbox_com

"I'll tear at you searching for weak seams..."