Re: Carman

> > His lyrics, at least the ones I'm familiar with, simplify the
> > Christian faith and provide easy answers to life's problems.
>
> And what's wrong with that?  Doesn't Jesus say that it takes the simple
> faith of a child?

What has *that* got to do with anything?  Looking up to God the way a
child looks up to his parents is one thing, but putting away childish
things is also a part of being a mature Christian, is it not?  Jesus said
we were to be as wise as serpents, and Paul said we need to move on from
the milk of the faith to the meat; wilful naivete is not an option.

> > People like Carman simply because he makes them feel good about
> > themselves.
>
> Norman Vincent Peale said that we have two choices every day--"to feel
> good about ourselves or to feel lousy.  Why would anyone choose the
> latter?"

Because we face *another* choice every day -- whether to tell the truth or
whether to lie.  Sometimes the truth makes us feel lousy.