Re: revisionism

> > > BTW, Creationism falls prey to the same thing.  This was my point-
> > > both sides, creationists and humanists, are proponents of theory as
> > > fact.
> >
> > Why do you assume that creationists can't be humanists?  Please let's
> > not confuse categories; humanism is a philosophy, not a branch of
> > science.
>
> Peter, why do you assume that I assume that?

The phrase "both sides" suggests that creationists and humanists are polar
opposites.  In a debate like this one, where clearly defining one's terms
is absolutely crucial, that sentence had the potential to muddy the
waters.

> Please give me some credit.  The word "secular" was assumed in that
> sentence, okay?

It was not *in* the sentence.  The whole point of discussions like this is
to make things explicit and avoid assumptions as much as possible.

> Please try and refrain from sounding condescending.  As Jan said, we all
> know you are smart.  (I'm saying that out of love, for your own good.

And that *doesn't* sound condescending?

> If you are indeed a critic, I know that you have been trained to think
> critically.

Trained, no.  It's just second nature to me.  Or maybe first nature.  :)

> However, critical thinking should not be applied quite so liberally to
> people as it is to plays, poems, lit, theatre, philosphy, and music.

I was not applying it to a person, I was applying it to an argument.

> Why?  Because these things have no feelings to hurt.

And playwrights, poets, writers, actors, philosophers and musicians have
no feelings to hurt either, I suppose?  Trust me, giving a really bad
review to a play that happens to star a friend of yours is not an easy
thing to do, *precisely* because actors *do* have feelings.

> We are on the same side here.  Creation science is bad science.  Some of
> it has scientific merit, but most of it does not.   Really, let's be
> friends!
>
> your brother,

Well, what do you want, a friend or a brother?  :)

(That last bit of excessive nitpicking was meant as a *joke*, natch. :) )