Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #624

since i get the digest version, and i'm in the midst of my hour-or-longer
hairstraightening and flipping process...i couldn't go and snip.

but this whole narnia thing is very disturbing and interesting...

first off, i do think it's crass to add to a series for the reasons stated.
i read the narnia books as a child, after seeing the cartoon version of
"lion, witch & the wardrobe", and loved them all. i never knew they were
allegorical in any way, not even being raised catholic. i drew no comparison
until later, when a christian camp i attended used "the horse and his boy"
as the "study" book.

i know many many non-christians who love the narnia books, and either don't
see the allegory, don't care about it, and/or aren't offended by the fact
that it's there. they are brilliantly written stories that may be relating
the story of christ, but aren't so blatant and "religious" that they don't
appeal to nonbelievers.

works like "rosencrantz & guildenstern are dead" don't fall into the "crass"
category, IMHO, because they merely use an existing work as a springboard
for their own art. that could be used as an argument here for the lewis
rewriters...but secularizing something that doesn't proselytize doesn't
strike me as being some artistic impulse. it strikes me as being nitpicky.

i'm with ysobelle on the nonbiased history bit...and i don't just mean a
religious bias. i'm sick and tired of the racial bias, the country bias...it
isn't history. as far as i'm concerned, it's fiction...telling our children
in government funded schools that the white man is the hero and the "savage
indians" willingly moved to oklahoma...that filipinos were "heathen beasts,
no better than negroes", and that we were "saving" the blacks from their
primitive lives by taking them from africa...it's disgusting. telling our
children that america is the greatest country in the world and that we can
fix everyone...instead of talking about manifest destiny and social
darwinism, why don't we tell our kids that those ways of thinking are racist
and wrong?

anyway...most evangelical christian parents home-school their kids to
shelter them from the world and teach from a "god-fearing" point of
view...something tells me that if i have children, they just might be kept
at home so they *aren't* sheltered from the world...either that or i'll be
that "weird mom with the opinions" that all the teachers hate. *laughs*

jillian.
i'm going to be in the same room as bono tonight.
this calls for a wooty woot in my world.