Re: Re: Re: cs lewis

> I know. But what I was also thinking is the diseases Europeans brought,
> which killed as many natives as swords, bullets, or slavery.

Well, the diseases went both ways -- though if I'm not mistaken, it does
seem the Americans suffered more than the Europeans did.

> Also, don't forget that imposing European mores and habits forcefully on
> natives is what's killed ancient languages, cultures, and, how 'bout
> that, histories.

Not that the American tribes and empires who went to war with each other
weren't killing each other's cultures and histories to begin with.

There's a bit of a kerfuffle going on right now over Kennewick Man, a
fossilized human that so-called "First Nations" types are trying to claim
as one of their own, despite the fact that he has features which suggest
he may have been of an entirely different racial stock.  The Umatilla
tribe claims him as one of their ancestors, because their oral history
asserts they have *always* occupied eastern Washington, which is where the
man's remains were found, and thus, the Umatilla tribe claims the
government is legally obligated to turn the remains over to them.  But a
group of anthropologists has been suing to prevent this, arguing that the
fossil's features don't match the Umatilla; they want to perform DNA
tests, but it's tied up in the courts right now.  Put simply, the evidence
indicates that "First Nations" may be a bit of a misnomer -- they got here
before the Europeans, yes, but after other races, which they apparently
killed or assimilated or overwhelmed in some other fashion.