Re: Re: Re: cs lewis

On 6/21/01 9:08 AM, quoth the brilliant prestokelvo at yahoo_com at
prestokelvo at yahoo_com:

>Even that is somewhat of a sweeping generality, at
>least as far as the missionaries are concerned.  The
>vast majority of missionaries throughout history
>haven't "slaughtered" anyone, or anything close to it;
>yet they are too often seen through this terrible ink
>stain of "missionaries who have slaughtered".
>(I don't believe that is what you are trying to say,
>Ysoie, I just think that happens too often.
>
>Backing out...
>
>Kelvin

I know. But what I was also thinking is the diseases Europeans brought,
which killed as many natives as swords, bullets, or slavery. Also, don't
forget that imposing European mores and habits forcefully on natives is
what's killed ancient languages, cultures, and, how 'bout that, histories.

It's that whole "Forget your culture and believe what I tell you to
believe" thing that bugs me. And there was a great article on the CNN
site yesterday about the extinction of languages all over the world. I
hadn't even known there were so many.

Jan-- you have "Cortez the Killer" on CD somewhere?