attention Ysoie! (and other Peter Mulvey lovers)

Some of us are lucky enough to live close to a Peter Mulvey (and often OtR)
venue, Canal Street Tavern in Dayton, Ohio.

And Ysoie, I took a pen and paper just for you!

I know it's a little late, but here's the lowdown....

Friday, June 1.

My friend Marcy (new PM convert, longtime OtR fan) and I arrived early.
Of course.  Because I have to get my chair.  Anyway, PM didn't arrive until
about 7 (i think).  And he was amazed that we were waiting outside to
get in!  He said we were crazy in a good way.

Also in attendance were the esteemed Bruce Lachey, Dan T and his
Margarita (no, dude, he wasn't all drinkey, that's his girlfriend's name), and
Melissa (who needs no mention of last name because she's one of those
first-name-only people).  We played Spinoggle before the show started.

It was really really really smokey.  Did I mention it was smokey?

Tod Weidner (from Shrug) opened up.  He's opened before.  And I'm not
completely into him, but he's one of few openers I actually don't have to
'endure'.  He's cool.  He has a tiny bit of a lisp and he was really sweaty
too.  Bruce was bothered by the fact that he was wearing a flannel shirt
without a t-shirt underneath.  Anyway, there was a bet about how many
times I was going to get spit on during the course of his set.  The official
tally at the end of the set was 1.5, and the kitty went to Dannyboy.

Then, (insert trumpet flare) Peter Mulvey took the stage.

The thing I've noticed about him is he doesn't really have a setlist...he more
has a set suggestion.  He has a journal type thing with lots of songs written
in it, which may or may not be played during the course of the night.  I kinda
like that.  That leaves room for requests (I think he did two) and for playing
to the crowd.

Here's the list of songs that came into being...

Set 1
Black Rabbit
Deep Blue
Bright Idea
Wings of the Ragman
a Gillian Welch tune...not sure...something about Caleb Mire...
Road to Mallow (a newer song written in December)
Magpie (a newer song written at the beginning of his last tour in Ireland)
a Bob Dylan tune...something about blind Willie...
----insert Tod Weidner on additional guitar and vocals----
On the Way Up
Disposable Souls (a Shrug song)
Every Mother's Son

-----set break for about 15 minutes...one thing I should mention here is
that Peter is still playing his beat-up Seagull guitar...I remember, perhaps
incorrecly, that there used to be two small holes in it in the absense of a
pick guard...there is now one larger hole.  But Tod's guitair is in much
worse shape, PM noted that there is actually packing tape on Tod's guitar
to hold it together.--------

Set 2
(sans Tod)
If Love is Not Enough
a Bruce Coburn tune
Smell the Future
reading of a Billy Collins Poem from the book "Picnic Lightning"
a song about Germany that I think (from my notes) is a Randy Newman tune
Out Here
The Dreams
Tiny Bubbles (a short rendition, in memory of a long-lost theatre experience)
Half the Time (by request)
Midwife (by request)
I Wanna Be Like You (from the Jungle Book)
Trouble with Poets

Encore 1
(with Tod)
Ok, there were 2 songs, I have no idea what they were.

Encore 2
(sans Tod)
Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (by Carol King)

I would've liked to have heard Words Too Small To Say or
Every Word Except Goodbye...and maybe Grace or Birgit...but it
was a great show.  A late show.  I think it was about 12.45 when
we let out.

Oh, also, PM spit on me too.

Peter is definitely a man who appreciates music, you can tell just
by how many cover tunes he does.  In fact, he metioned at the show
that he's putting out a record of cover tunes recorded live in the
Boston subway.

That's all now.

m.