Re: moulin rouge

> First of all, I should point out the difference between a reviewer and a
> true critic.  Most reviewers from papers, magazines, and TV have no
> formal training in film, aesthetics, etc.  This must be taken into
> account when one terms someone writing about film as a critic or a
> reviewer.

While distinctions of this sort *can* be useful, I don't think anyone can
claim that it is universally accepted.  It's as debatable as the
distinction some people make between "art" and "entertainment", really.

> Also in reference to the process of adding modern popular music to
> period pieces, I will alter my general opinion when I see one that is
> done well.  I've seen a few that have tried including Branaugh's "Love's
> Labour Lost," . . .

Well, there, the music *fit* the period, because it was all rooted in the
1930s.  The only thing that seemed out of place was the dialogue, which
was written by some hack named Shakespeare.  :)  But me, I'm all for
re-interpreting Shakespeare in modern time periods; I think _Richard III_
starring Ian McKellen is one of the best Shakespeare films of them all.
I mean, really, it's not like *Shakespeare* cared about historical or
cultural purity!  His plays can be a real hodgepodge, at times.