Re: The Cider House Rules, Man

> > cider house rules - the movie SUCKS.  stick with the book.  john
> > irving is brilliant.  the schmuck who produced the movie is not.
>
> Uh, but John Irving wrote the screenplay and in fact went through two or
> three producers until he found one he was happy with.

That doesn't prove anything.  Michael Ende has his name removed from the
credits to _The NeverEnding Story_ because he felt the film did a poor job
of adapting his book, but he gave his consent to the first sequel, which
was a far, far inferior film (and did an even worse job of adapting the
book, IMO).  Having the author's consent doesn't prove much.

And while I haven't read David Brin's _The Postman_, I am astounded that
he came to the defense of the Kevin Costner movie, which was an awful,
self-indulgent, and highly amateurish bit of film-making.

> And he won an Oscar for best screenplay based on a book.

Like the Oscars count for anything.  :)

> All of this said, I agree that the movie isn't as good as the book --
> but I think the movie is good and stands on its own. I reread the book a
> week before seeing the movie and was disappointed, but I think it was
> still a good movie.

I've never read the book, actually, but I thought the movie was, um, okay,
apart from its pro-abortion preachiness.  And FWIW, I do make a
distinction between pro-choice and pro-abortion points of view, but IMO,
the film crossed the line.