Re: The Cider House Rules, Man

What really does a producer do in a movie??  imdb told me that he/she is
defined by... "The chief of a movie production in all matters save the
creative efforts of the director. A producer is responsible for raising
funding, hiring key personnel, and arranging for distributors."

whereas a director: The principal creative artist on a movie set. A director
is usually (but not always) the driving artistic source behind the filming
process, and communicates to actors the way that he/she would like a
particular scene played. A director's duties might also include casting,
script editing, shot selection, shot composition, and editing. Typically, a
director has complete artistic control over all aspects of the movie, but it
is not uncommon for the director to be bound by agreements with either a
producer or a studio. In some large productions, a director will delegate
less important scenes to a second unit.

Money's neat and all, and I can see how it'd be important in the filmmaking
process, but once the producer hires the director (vital), it seems like the
day to day stuff is out of his/her hands.

So I guess what I'm saying is I blame Cider House's director Lasse Hallström
more than the dizzying array of producers the film had (Alan C. Blomquist,
Bobby Cohen, Richard N. Gladstein, Leslie Holleran, Michele Platt, Meryl
Poster, Bob Weinstein, Harvey Weinstein, Lila Yacoub).  I only liked
Hallström's "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" out of everything he's done that
I've seen.  Well, and ABBA: The Movie wasn't bad....

On the way up,
Bruce