saviour machine

Matthew Mesina <soberman_69 at hotmail_com> wrote:
> As far as Saviour Machine goes- Dan, how come
> you regard I and II as masterpieces, yet I was
> the only person to list SM in the perfect CDs
> thread.

i go through phases where i forget about things...
i go through phases where i listen to a lot of one
artist, and then i need to rediscover others.  i
haven't listened to SM in a while... when the whole
perfect album thread was going around, i forgot
about 'em... SMI is definitely there, and i think
i'd probably put SMII on there, too... the Legend
ones?  no.

> I really think SM I is a work of genius, though
> I attribute that to Terry Taylor more than the
> band.  As time goes by the quality of the music
> has suffered.

agreed.  also, sam west's drumming on SMI is great.
he's a surprisingly great drummer.  his work with
marc solomon and stavesacre is pretty wicked.  trk
4 ("inclusive") for their 2nd album, absolutes, is
proof positive.

i agree, though- their albums have gone downhill in
overall listenability for me.  for me, it's more of
a "too wordy" thing.  i still enjoy it now & again.

> Still, I don't regard SM as the charlatans that
> purvey false prophecy that you do for the simple
> fact that everything they say is based on a
> well-reasoned interpretation of scripture

that wasn't me.  for me, what they believe is what
they believe- not what i believe.  if they think
the world was coming to an end in 2000, then so be
it.  i still like the music.  i think eric's claims
may have been more in line with what he was doing
with Legend.  if he truly believed that, well, we
know that he's probably changed his outlook on it
by now. :)

Shelter the mind of remorse
Wallow in the heart of the liar
Steal by the soul and the force of the nail
As they follow the body of fire

gud,
Dan

np: dido - no angel