Re: karin, poles, trilogies, and machines

> > Bob the dancing monkey wrote:
> > > I have a problem with Saviour Machine.  I like
>[snip]
> >
> > hmm... i like it more for its aesthetic beauty and
> > artistic, storytelling aspect.  whether or not the
> > story is true and/or false and/or skewed doesn't
> > really bug me much- if at all.
> >

>You know, I can certainly respect that.  They make good music, and I've
>liked it for a long time (since 1993, when I first heard their first
>mainstream album).  I don't even mind _that_ much people trying to make
>sense of that book.  What does frustrate me is that an awful lot of
>Christians make these sorts of pronouncements, and then say, "Whoops!  I
>was wrong.  I really meant this..."  For a couple of years, I went to a
>charismatic church where this was pretty normal for a while.  As time went
>on, it really got on my nerves that people were trying to prophecy and to
>kind of be a medium for God (and would be thought as such to be God
>speaking through the Holy Spirit) when in reality, they were just speaking
>to themselves.

Yeah, I'm about to go to my niece's graduation at a very small born-again
church.  There are only two in her class.  The Pastors, grouped as married
couples, will each take turns at placing their hands on my niece and weeping
and praying, and making all sorts of proclamations and predictions about her
chosen career path and how God wills that she succeed.  Now, I know this
'cause I witnessed her sister go through it two years prior.  Her class was
three, and none of them took that path the church had laid out of them.  In
fact, my older niece won't be there 'cause she's left that church, and is
now a disavowed pariah, two years into her college life.

While I wax family business, my sister has seven kids, six of which she
acknowledges, with an eighth on the way.  The church, you see, had a
prophecy that she would have many kids, and she still needs another boy to
meet the criteria.  Never mind that she has needed to have a the last couple
cut out of her.  Also, it is her sacred duty to populate the Earth with
little Christians, to fight back the tide of darkness that threatens to
engulf the planet.

I still disagree with that fool Bill Maher when he calls Christianity a
cult, though, in light of all this, should I?  It makes me wonder...

As far as Saviour Machine goes- Dan, how come you regard I and II as
masterpieces, yet I was the only person to list SM in the perfect CDs
thread.  I really think SM I is a work of genius, though I attribute that to
Terry Taylor more than the band.  As time goes by the quality of the music
has suffered.  Remember the comments made about Yes?  Well, Saviour Machine
has out-Yessed Yes.  Legend II was so utterly full of bombast and pompous
hyperbole, it surpassed those prog-rock masters at their worst.  Yes, after
all, only managed to sound like each band member was playing a different
song at the same time, while SM does that plus adds sound effects AND two
simultaneous vocal tracks- spoken and sung.  Why?  Plus, the old adage "shut
up and play 'yer guitar" really is shown as wisdom by this band's example.
Eric Clayton must need to keep an oxygen tank at stage left.

Still, I don't regard SM as the charlatans that purvey false prophecy that
you do for the simple fact that everything they say is based on a
well-reasoned interpretation of scripture.  Yes, Eric possibly did think
that the year 2000 was the end.  Or did he?  Would he be so foolish as to
overlook Christ's own pronouncement that nobody can know the day or hour?  I
mean, midnight of Jan 1, 2000 sure looks like a date and hour to me.

Yes, I like Yes, so don't ask.

Re: Christian culture.  It can be cheesy, it can be junky, but it can also
be capable of great things, such as  OtR and the beloved stable of writers
they recommend on their website.  That much of it is cheesy has to do with
the fact that we are now a subculture.  Think about it, Porn is a
subculture, and it is not exactly a word that invokes images of Oscar
caliber, enlightening, artistically inspired work either.  When a product
only appeals to a limited audience, minimal effort is put forth to make it
transcend the limitations of said audience.  Why bother, time is money.
Anyway, being critical of Christian culture is one thing, but trying to do
something to improve the state of it, as are L&K, is quite another.

assassinated when the mask comes off,

Matt