wicked smaht (boston review)

okay, okay...so the show wasn't in *boston*, it was *just out-SIDE of
boston* (kudos to those who get the SNL reference) in a town called
Somerville. kinda looked like long branch, new jersey. i sported my
ubiquitous orange jacket and dido-hair, and attended with my lovely friend
mike.

venue: lilli's. a random-looking orange building in the middle of houses
that aren't houses, but apartments. made one wonder, "where the hell am i?"
that is, until you went inside. walls were all funky-coloured, with sparkley
things here and there, and these hand-blown bottle type things that looked
like kittycats. the stage was very cool, with an asymmetrical proscenium.
wicked.

we waited outside for the doors to open, and wondering if linford was
kidding when he said mike could work the merch table so he could attend the
21+ show (he's 19)...then karin walked by on her way into the club, saw us
(mike) and asked "oh, did linford take care of you? with working and stuff?"
priceless. how sopranos. he said no, and she said she'd mention it.
sooo...the doors opened and we waited. after all the pre-show people were
let in, i told the doorlady our situation, she went and spoke to dave, then
gave us *both* comp tix and scribbled big black X's on mike's hands (ha-ha)

dave met us both and then said that we should just enjoy the show and not
worry about things, but to stick close by so mike could spot him if he
needed the loo. lovely!

it took forever for even the willard grant conspiracy to go on, but they did
and it was a full band thing. (i mentioned that already).

over the rhine went on at about 11...setlist.

world can wait
if nothing else
faithfully dangerous
anything at all
i radio heaven
little blue river (dedicated to snoop duggy dug)
birds
moth
sleep baby jane (this is from a record called "eve". we lost our virginity
with that one.)
latter daze
all i need is e.
fever
goodbye
--------------------------
when i go (this was not done, sadly)
give me strength

karin had on this wicked lovely sparkley top...i want one now. it sounded
like she was being careful with her voice at some points in the show, but
never to the point where the music suffered. oh goodness, no! she never
ceases to amaze me with what she can do to a song.

i was back by the soundboard, amongst the locals who had no idea who OtR
was, and proceeded to talk, rather loudly, during everything. even "latter
days", which almost ruined the song for me. nonetheless i sang harmonies
from my spot and danced around a bit. there was a bearded dude closer to the
front who appeared to be doing tai chi through most of the concert. i didn't
get to see him, but what i did see was right amusing. tai chi and chai tea!

hmmm...i don't know what to say about the show, really. since i had seen
them just a week before, the setlist was pretty much the same, and the
arrangements as well. the two main highlights for me were "little blue
river" and "give me strength". that sounds corny, i know, but both songs
just burned with this intensity that you so rarely see from female singers
who can really sing. the sound was as thick as a pint of guinness...and just
as foamylight. loved it.

all in all, the show kicked the ny show's arse, and i had a great time.
there were many moments in which a big WOOTY WOOT wanted to escape from me,
but i never mustered up the intestinal fortitude. ah well. i did my good
deed by sharing otr's history with two drunk guys who made a comment like "i
can't believe this band has their own roadies!" sure. okay.

we stuck around afterwards (of course) and i talked to the big L for a bit.
karin had slipped away quickly (as usual) and i talked to paul from WGC.
having been at the NY show, i pointed out the Slovenia decal on his guitar
case and chatted with him about that. i must say, he was surprised. :)

everyone had gone, we helped load the merch equipment into the bus, shook
dave's hand, thanked them for calling us friends for the night, and left to
wait for a taxi in the rain. (damn T stops too early)

okay, i'm done.

bye.

cheers.

GET OUT!!!!