Re: coupland

> > If you want a really interesting read, you should track down a book
> > called Brave Souls ... it's a collection of interviews one of the
> > religion editors for a Vancouver paper did with a bunch of writers /
> > artists / musicians on the topic of spiritual matters.  There's some
> > fascinating stuff in there ... Coupland's included as are Bruce
> > Cockburn, John Irving, Robertson Davies, Robert Munsch and a slew of
> > other excellent people ...
>
> the "problem" might be with "things canada" indeed - if there's any
> further info on that "Brave Souls" tome, please send along . . .

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0773758321/petertchatta

The author of _Brave Souls_ is Douglas Todd, the religion and ethics
columnist for The Vancouver Sun; his most recent column was on the Hindu
undercurrents in the films of M. Night Shyamalan.

http://www.vancouversun.com/newsite/opinion/010511/5055081.html

_Brave Souls_ mostly consisted of expanded versions of interviews and
profiles that Todd wrote as part of his ongoing coverage for the Sun.  I
interviewed Todd for the UBC student paper when _Brave Souls_ came out,
and basically turned the tables on him, getting him to speak about his
faith and background the way that he had gotten others to do so.  (FWIW,
Todd is a graduate of UBC's religious-studies department, as am I.)

I don't have a copy of my interview with him on the web yet, alas.  But if
you want to get a sense of Todd's style, I typed out an excerpt of his
chapter on Paul Verhoeven on a film discussion list: