Re: coupland

> i wrote a grad school paper (partially) on gen x a
> couple of years ago.  i had read it for the first time
> in '92 in undergrad and was completely entralled by
> it.  took several years before i came too the
> conclusion (flawed, most likely), that it is a
> post-modern adaptation of kerouac's *on the road*.
> (that is not to downplay mr. coupland's particular
> craft, mind you).

Yeah, I can see that.  It's got the same kind of flow to it ...

> i don't know -- have a couple of friends who swear by
> *shampoo planet*, even fewer by *microserfs*.
> coupland lost his appeal for me when he started doing
> mtv commercials back in the day.

I didn't care for Microserfs the first time I read it, I thought he went
for an easy ending, but I've re-read it a couple times since then and
been absolutely blown away.  Life After God is simply one of the
best books ever.

If you want a really interesting read, you should track down a book
called Brave Souls ... it's a collection of interviews one of the
religion editors for a Vancouver paper did with a bunch of writers /
artists / musicians on the topic of spiritual matters.  There's some
fascinating stuff in there ... Coupland's included as are Bruce
Cockburn, John Irving, Robertson Davies, Robert Munsch and a
slew of other excellent people ...

I think Coupland's problem now is that he's started to take his own
press too seriously and instead of just trying to write a good book
he's trying to write a Coupland book ...

Todd.

The Denver Gentlemen | The Autumns | Matt Hopper | 3" Series

Absalom Recordings is on the web at www.absalomrecordings.com