Chasing Kevin (was Re: Criterion (was Re: bruce))

Gilhamilton at aol_com wrote:
> I haven't seen Chasing Amy.  I thought Clerks was
> a big heapin pile of ba ba sticky myself even
> though I think I'm alone on that assessment.  Is
> that fairly representative of Kevin Smith stuff?

yes and no.  his stuff post-Clerks is not quite as
crass as Clerks.  i thought Clerks was a good movie,
but i still lump it at the bottom of his 4 movies so
far... reluctantly watching Mallrats got me hooked on
Kevin Smith stuff, though.

yes, some of the humor in Clerks is representative of
Kevin's style.  if you are *easily offended* by
indescriminate usage of the "f"-word, then i'd say
stay far away from Chasing Amy and Dogma.  far away.
:)

per the commentaries, most of the f-words in Chasing
Amy and Dogma weren't scripted... ie- Kevin didn't
write them.  apparently Ben Affleck and Joey Lauren
Adams are potty mouths.  and Chris Rock in Dogma
doesn't help the f-word-to-normal-word ratio.

Mallrats was probably the "most clean" of Kevin's
stuff due to its (*miserably failed) attempt at being
a big commercial movie.  it's still a cult classic,
but it bombed in the theatres.  bombed BIG.

Mallrats, Dogma, and Chasing Amy are all in a good
vying position for my fav Kevin Smith movie.  Clerks
is a tad behind.  i like it, but it doesn't make me
laugh as hard as the other stuff.  the Clerks cartoons

are pretty damn good, though. :)

his 5th (and final) installment of the NJ Stories, Jay

and Silent Bob Strike Back, comes out in the theatres
on August 10, 2001.  allegedly.

then he's gonna work on the new Fletch movie.  he's
thinking of casting Jason Lee as Fletch, which would
make me very happy.  Kevin also wrote a script for a
new Superman movie, but it got turned down by the
movie house due to it being too anally comic book
accurate.  apparently they wanted something different
for a comic book hero.  yuh?

about to type a comma,
Dan

np: sinead o'connor - i do not want what i haven't got