Re: Canal St.

Krystyn Wells spake thusly:
> I decided to go with a regular subscription to this list, after suffering
> through a week or two of digest emails flooding my hotmail inbox with
> *double* the amount of text and bad formatting because instead of displaying
> the HTML or stripping it out completely, Hotmail tends to leave *both*
> versions in there.

And then there are the people that reply to the digest, but quote the whole
blasted thing, and then do it in HTML to boot, so one single message could have
four copies of a multi-hundred line digest message in it.  On top of that, they
probably only wrote three lines at the top.

But hey, I used to try to ask people to show a little net.courtesy, but I got
flamed for being a net.cop.  I gave up.  But you know, just because people have
better than 9600 baud modems now doesn't mean that bandwidth isn't a problem.
Millions of people being sloppy with unnecessary text translates into major net
traffic jams.  Netiquette is not obsolete!  Besides, it just makes *sense*.

Hmmm... guess I didn't give up as much as I thought I did.

I find reading the messages on the archived web page at actwin.com to work for
me.  I delete the digest email as it comes in, and then I just check the
archive whenever I feel like reading the list.  The web site threads messages,
and enables me to ignore most of the usual annoying bad email habits that tend
to make list email too frustrating.  The only problem that is annoying on the
web archive is when people don't put in carriage returns, and every paragraph
they write shows up as one long line that runs on and on and on across the
screen to the right, and I have to scroll over to read it.  Lines are supposed
to be 80 characters max, and 70 is considered polite (it allows for multiple
layers of quoting indentations).

But nobody seems to care about that stuff anymore.

I'm with Chris Emery.  Power to the people!  :-)  Down with Micr...

[the remainder of this message has been mysteriously garbled...]