Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #501

<<<<<<<<
Nobody else has mentioned John Irving?  Anyone
else?

Kelvo

John Irving is my all-time favorite author. I
stumbled across him when I was an exchange
student in Holland 16 years ago. I went to the
library where they had a nice supply of books in
English, and I picked up "The Hotel New
Hampshire" off the shelf randomly. And then I
started reading his other stuff. He has some
wacky plots and characters, but I think his
commentary on modern morality and even faith is
wonderful. For the record, I liked the film
version of "The Cider House Rules," but I was
disappointed because I re-read the book within a
week of seeing the film. Despite Irving's writing
the screenplay, the absence of some details was
tough to swallow.

On other authors, I have enjoyed Douglas
Coupland's works. A pastor friend recommended
strongly when I was in college or just out to
read "Life After God." I also thoroughly enjoyed
"Microserfs." He really captures the thoughts and
attitudes of my generation.

One of my guilty pleasures in John Grisham. For
page turning excitement, you can't go wrong.

Sue Miller's "While I Was Gone" is another
excellent book that comments on the themes of
life vs. faith and forgiveness. The characters
and the plot really have a lot of depth. It's not
a page-turner like Grisham, but it's a very good
book.

Jeff McCloud
teamccloud at yahoo_com