Re: suggestions, please...

i had to laugh when suggestions for books were asked for- somehow i knew my
inbox would be full tonight.  ;)

>From: Gilhamilton at aol_com
>To: over-the-rhine at actwin_com
>Subject: Re: suggestions, please...
>Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:47:17 EST
>

>Nice to see quite a few fantasy-sf readers among you.  Neil Gaiman fans
>even!
>Nevermore was great.

i liked neverwhere, but found the ending to be a little bit of a letdown.
however, stardust was quite engaging, and his other graphic novel was
beautiful- i forgot the name -the asian story of the monk and the girl...
(someone here must remember the name?  mine's in my closet about 2000 miles
from here...)  anyway, it's great.  ;)

but am i the only one who dislikes the sandman artwork?  i do love the cover
pieces, but the regular panel artwork gives me a headache.  sorry. :\

>Bone. Three little "Pogo" looking guys - one good, one simple, and one
>crooked lost in a Tolkienesque land populated by humans, princesses, rat
>creatures, dragons and the mysterious Lord of Locusts.  Full of humor and
>adventure.

i've always been interested in this one- good to hear a review!

i'm not sure i read a lot of the same genre y'all are talking about, though.
  at the moment, i'm in the midst of the 'brothers karamazov'.  will be
there for a while, i think... that, and i'm trying to read daniel
boorstein's 'the creators,' on the side!

i did read 'good benito', by alan lightman- a really nicely written
narrative about a mathemetician, although i hear his previous book is
better- 'einstein's dreams'.

has anyone read annie dillard's 'for the time being'?  someone in this crowd
must have...  it's by far the most moving book i've read in quite a long
time.  i'd love to have a book group to discuss it!  after almost every
paragraph you feel as though you have to set down the book to absorb what
she's said.  it's sort of a journey through her search for meaning in life,
and for God.  really wonderful.

i'd concur with the 'princess and the goblin' reccommendation, and lotr, of
COURSE, especially since the movies are coming sooooon.....!!!  of course, i
think i'll be changing my email, soon- for various reasons, but among them
the desires to not be regarded as a tolkien fanatic (no offense, i just
don't qualify), and to not be associated with liv tyler (!).  i just liked
the name, honest... though i should've picked eowyn, i think.  she had more
personality...

(anywho, goodnight.)

-melanie