Re: suggestions, please...

--- Melanie Shannon <arwen725 at hotmail_com> wrote:

> i had to laugh when suggestions for books were asked
> for- somehow i knew my
> inbox would be full tonight.  ;)

Sorry...

Actually, it seems that by asking that question I sort
of opened myself up for a bit of alienation.  It
appears that I'm like the only one here who doesn't
enjoy sci-fi or fantasy.  I guess I like my fiction a
little more grounded in reality.  Although, I dare say
that sci-fi and fantasy is probably no less grounded
in reality than the stuff I enjoy.  Its just that the
reality is dressed up in less familiar clothing.
I do like things with a light fantastical flair
("Winter's Tale") or with a touch of the absurd ("Son
Of a Circus"), but for the most part I guess I need
things to ring true in the literal sense before they
can ring true in an emotional sense for me.

Whoever mentioned "Life After God" - BRAVO!

Nobody else has mentioned John Irving?  Anyone else?

Kelvo

=====
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy that sustained him during temporary periods of joy."
                               -- W.B. Yeats