Re: More FfR thoughts

gut reactions on a lunch break (with burnt pizza)  :(

>From: Don Smith <dasmith at rotse2_physics.lsa.umich.edu>
>To: Over-the-Rhine at actwin_com (Over the Rhine List)
>Subject: More FfR thoughts
>Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 01:08:45 -0500 (EST)

I love the composition of the cover photo: the red is striking, and the
>balance between the dark shadows on the one side and the bright glimpse of
>skin
>on the other really draws the eye into the subject.

i love the red, too, and it was all the more surprising after such a long
train of faded-photo themes.  however, i was a little disappointed when
looking at the cover to find that *probably* both arms were originally
visible, but a little photoshopping turned one red.  i guess it's the
graphics training in me, but am i wrong?  it's still gorgeous.

>Is is possible to avoid the idolation of pop stardom while still doing
>things that court that kind of mindset like offering signatures to a
>select few?  Just food for thought...  on to the music...

true, it does seem inconsistent.  however, it was my impression that they
were doing it as a sort of bonus to fans who were interested, and they
weren't nearly prepared for the response.  the limited number was merely a
necessary means of putting and end to a lifetime of signing copies.  :)

>To discuss: what is the world waiting for?

this i took to be a personal decision, ie: i want to spend more time with
you, so the world (life, taxes, signing 2000 cds..) can just wait while i do
what is really important.

To discuss: is "I can dream" an expression of freedom
>or impotence?

ack, good question.  i guess option 'b'

>Give Me Strength really blew me away.  The vocals and the unusual
>electronica
>create an evocative mood that feels uplifting and soaring.  From the first
>beat
>to the last, resigned note, I was enthralled.  Although someone else wrote
>it,
>it seems very much in keeping with the themes of the previous two songs.
>We
>hear longing to achieve dreams, the question of how we connect with
>ourselves,
>others, the moment, and the future.

is it just me being influenced by what i know about this song, or is it sort
of obvious that k&l didn't write it?

>I Radio Heaven is entrancing.  I don't know if it's a minor key, or what
>(Dammit, Jim, I'm a physicist, not a musician!), but I love the sweeping
>meloncholy tone of this one.  There is some really fascinating imagry
>in the lyrics.  Especially when it gets sexual in the latter half.
>To discuss:  why "a *slut* with a mission"?

i find this most interesting since linford is credited with writing the
song....

lunch is over- guess i'll go to the bank tomorrow.
(still looking for my wallet)

melanie

rent: oscar and lucinda