Re: sluts with missions

J. Marie Hall wrote:
> and this professor detsch sez, "the pendulum which,
> since the middle ages, has swung in the direction
> of the glorification of the indiviual man and the
> insistence upon his absolute freedom with respect
> to his surroundings--to mold them or destroy them
> as he sees fit--is now beginning to swing back in
> the opposite direction.  man is troubled more and
> more by a sense of loss: the loss of the totality
> of which he was once a part."
> i was thinking about "moth" in that last bit...

actually, i just used the term "ho" for megan's
benefit.  :)

but the whole pendulum concept is a good one.  it
seems as throughout history there are cycles of
excess, then depression, then excess- musically,
literary, artisticly, spiritually, economically.

didn't the renaissance come out of a period of
lack of beauty?  the natural pendulum progression
from the renaissance was for gluttonous excess on
the part of many.

but then again, i really have no hard proof of what
i'm saying.  i'm just saying it because i *think*
it's correct.  i don't know if it is.  it's been a
while since i studied history.  i need to again.

> so, in short (ha ha), i think they're using a
> nice cut-to-the-chase-i'm-so-tired-of-the-pretty-
> fluff term like "slut"--identifying with the
> object (as a speaking subject...hence more unity
> according to this detsch guy)...and for what?  in
> the end, even trakl is going for wholeness with
> this unity stuff.  or to take a more standard (ha
> ha) christian view dripping with humility: aren't
> we all sluts for something?  don't we sell out to
> something?  and in this song, i think we're hearing
> from a slut for heaven.  oh dear god :)

yeah, probably.  i'm a slut for good music and a
good blueberry muffin.  or saag paneer.  yummy
stuff.

but seriously, i'd say that in an analogous sense,
yeah, human behavior has tendencies for certain
things (ie- vices) that we'd do anymost anything
for.  is that the meaning we're throwing around
for "slut," though?

i dunno.  i'm a slut for trying to know what i'm
talking about without having a grand grasp on it
all.

> the "mission" part could have to do with a god-
> given purpose in life.  i dunno.

perhaps a god-given one.  perhaps a slut with OtR
spreading their music.  i know i've read before
them refering to their music as their "mission
field."  a cornerstone interview (maybe from last
year), i think linford referred to it that way.
plus i think in one of linford's poems that he's
read from stage once refered to them as mission-
aries of a different kind, or something.

> j. marie
> np: remy zero _villa elaine_

this is a yummy album.  i saw "gramarye" on a
latenight "metal" video show a few years ago
(good old local access cable)... which was kind
of weird.  their video seemed out of place, seeing
as they're not metal (they remind me more of sunny
day real estate mixed with radiohead).  villa
elaine is a great album.  i also found their 1st
album used for $5.  it's a good one, too.

yeah,
Dan

np: michael kelsey - gruvency (and now...)
    caedmon's call - 40 acres