Re: side-tracked, again

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Melanie Shannon wrote:

> city of the lost children??  8)  i love you guys!!!  i was all for
> naming a little girl 'miette' until i found out it really means
> 'crumb,' in french.  awww, but how endearing!

i would call my kid that... at least nickname-wise. i can think of worse
ones (:

> but the real question is, people 'who know' keep telling me that
> 'delicatessen' (by the same guys) is a better film.  i disagreed.  :\
> i feel the same way about the coen brothers and barton fink.  can
> anyone explain to me why barton fink is the best coen brothers movie?
> or how delicatessen could possibly be better than the lost children???

the delicatessen... city of lost children, probably two of my more
favorite movies.

the thing about delicatessen that makes it so good, is:

it's possible. it might've happened.  the whole time through the movie you
don't want to realise what they're eating. this place, it's an organism,
that place they live - things so synchronized.

they never tell you what's happened to the world, it's just understood
that something bad happened. and yet, they keep on living.  it's filled
with droll irony and sad hopelessness. and it's terribly terribly funny...

i like how the movie plays on the unwillingness of the human mind to
accept a horror that will change a much-needed paradigm.  then you accept
it, after having been conditioned to know why they choose to do what they
do. in a bizarre way, it makes sense - serves a purpose. suddenly, that
important outlook has been changed - do you reel in shock from it? or does
it go on quietly while part of your mind shrieks its defiance in not
accepting?  at the end of the movie, what do you still think?

good movies yank paradigms, but not always the right way.

the city of lost children is a fanciful tale about the horror of
nightmares and the power they can have over people. the lack of dreams and
what it does to people. actually, it reminded me of Brazil. so you have a
lackwit and his big heart and how he saves two children.  the entire movie
is populated from a child's mind - things larger than life, horrors too
big and strange to be real that are real.

then again, maybe i like Delicatessen because i like post-apocalyptic
things... and i'm just muttering.

what is the fascination with self-destructing?

the butcher, the baker, the candlestickmaker...

> >When someone recommended the film "City of Lost
> >Children" - eternally grateful for that one.

(:

rhys

--
If you've done six impossible things before breakfast, why not round it off
with dinner at Milliway's, the restaurant at the end of the universe.