RE: Wheaton concert

I am one of the ones who remains silent, allowing this little email
community access to my computer daily without me ever really responding or
feeling the need to do so- especially when you guys get ensnared in such
stupendous debate as to whether Over The Rhine is a "Christian Band." But I
feel I want to speak now. And I am wondering if anyone else saw or felt any
of the things I saw and felt at the Wheaton Show.  Also, I am fully prepared
for you guys to excommunicate me when all is said and done. I went to the
show expecting to see Over The Rhine. The OTR show is truly a  unique
experience- a blend of soul searching, heart breaking, bleeding, stripping,
dipping, swaying, praying, etc- you all know what I mean of course! I have
seen everyone from The Verve, Radiohead, U2, Old 97's, and Outkast, and
nothing quite compares to an OTR concert experience. So, last night, when
the show was over, after being subjected to the weakest show I have ever
seen OTR play, I walked away with delusions.......of what, I am not sure,
but I do know this: OTR was different last night, and I hope it's not
permanent.
I will start by saying that the band appeared more at ease than ever before.
Of course, this was a good thing. They certainly seemed to be having more
fun, less boundaries and less ideology of "how" they were supposed to
perform was apparent in the level of brevity that Karin allowed herself to
exude.  I think we can all agree that she said more at this concert than
perhaps all her past efforts combined. Linford was left in the comic dust...
But here is my contention: that the band's lackadaisical attitude was a
front, a cover, a façade designed, unconsciously I am hoping, to cover up
the huge misappropriation of time the band apparently allocated for
rehearsals. I remember the drill similarly in my high school days. If I was
unprepared for an exam or something, I would feign comic genius in hopes
that I could mask my ineptitude at that moment. And don't tell me I am the
only one who noticed what I am talking about. Need I say more than to point
out that the one single (GMS) from the album, the one single that might have
brought out new fans of OTR was performed acoustic!? And a slighter than
average performance it was! Of course, Karen's vocals could be sweet and
captivating in a concentration camp, but we should, and I certainly do,
expect more from the band than turning the single into a  watered down
version because they could not figure out how to reproduce the sound outside
of the studio! And perhaps the argument could be made that the non-alcoholic
nature of the show was a factor: Jack is certainly much cooler looking with
a Jack and Coke than a coffee mug! No matter: all the brevity in the world
could not make the world wait last night. OTR just didn't have it together.
And that is what troubles me. It's not this show was a last minute addition
to the front end of a tour: they had time to prepare. And last night's show
certainly showed that something in that prepatory phase was sorely lacking.
Having gotten the sting out, there are a few efforts last night that deserve
mentioning as sticking out from the rest of the performance. Namely, when
Karin sauntered  into the hymn section of "Little Blue River", I would swear
peace could be attainable in that stretch of time. Legions would hear her
call and become intoxicated, and sign on to whatever we said! But the most
striking moment of the night was certainly the seemingly off-the-cuff
version of "The Body." At that point, the true OTR emerged, albeit too late
in the evening. So actually perhaps the show can best be described as two
separate and distinct shows: the set list up to "The Body" and the set list
afterwards. The familiar showmanship came out- slurred vocals, expert
musicianship, divine ability, and most importantly- after last night's
subparr first half performance- a song list that was prepared in advance of
the show itself.  So maybe we can chalk last night up to a learning session
for all interested parties. For me, it could possibly be that I should learn
 that not every show will be the trademark OTR and their trade dress that is
so fine and captivating. But just as important, maybe the band themselves
will have learned something from last night: namely, that we are a
discriminating bunch, and they are held to a high standard, both of which
they held in slight contempt by the lack of preparation that was apparent in
last night's performance.
I realize this will not float well with many of you. But please be nice.
Good Dog. (or is it God)?