Duran Duran and intimacy

As for Duran Duran, understood.  It's kind of like that time at Cornerstone
when, by the skateboard ramps, someone apparently decided to run Saturday Night
Fever soundtrack over the sound system late at night, and you had a lot of
teenagers, spared by God from the dark age of Disco, out dancing with faux
nostalgia.

That said, a lot of us early-thirtisomethings actually enjoy looking back at the
80's music on retro stations, if only because it was so much better than what
the high schoolers were dancing to when the rest of us were still in junior high
and looking at them like therapists waiting for the patient's drugs to wear off.
The Eighties gave us A Flock of Seagulls, The Talking Heads, Thomas Dolby, etc.
Fun, goofy stuff.  Or at least, not overly nihilistic like our current set that
makes us feel like kids on a tour of the rehab clinic or a courthouse again.
Most of the time, I don't really care what happened to [insert Nineties lead
singer here], I certainly don't need to hear it eighty times along with a call
to follow the example, and I suspect Jerry Springer is much more interested than
I am.  Then again, the death of alternative has given us the Brittany Brigade -
so maybe we had it good after all.  And at least the Nineties was more honest
than any other decade about sexual damage.  The Eighties, on the other hand,
wasn't a downer all the time. And sometimes I love being silly-happy.

>To say that sex is sacred is to say that the body is sacred.  It is not.
>I'm not an acetic here, but the moment we stop realizing how ironic our
>existence is--spiritual beings married to our material bodies--the moment we
>lose sight of the core of life.

Paul makes the point that we aren't to unite our body with prostitutes because
our body belongs to Christ.  The body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, as it
were.  I also remember someone once saying that if the body wasn't so important
to God, then why would he bother glorifying it in Heaven?

>I've often heard of the giving of one's virginity as offering up the "holy
>of holies."  I find this disturbing, as--in my mind--it equates sex with
>worship.

Yeah, if someone told me that a lot, I'd react the exact same way you have.
That's taking the metaphor too far.

>Sex is not about worship; it's about intimacy.  Those two things have some
>elements in common, but the biggest difference is probably that one is
>ephemeral and the other, eternal.  That's a mighty big difference.

Scripture does compare Heaven with marriage - even to the point of calling the
Church the Bride of Christ, and referring to the Marriage Supper of the Lamb.
Sex is a shadow of the bond we will have, like when you hold your spouse and
their body seems more "you" than your own.  It's the only way we touch on that
except in seriously deep prayer.  The deep prayer part reminds us that there is
nothing sexual about heaven, but that there is something intensely intimate
about it.

>Do we worship our spouses, and our own ability to procreate--or do we
>worship God, and His ability to Create?

That's back to do we worship the gift rather than the giver - and of course the
answer is no.  But do we realize why this gift is important, what the meaning is
between not only our spouse and us but God and us?  I suspect the answer is in
The Song of Solomon when, after many very intimate metaphors and lavish
descriptions, God speaks that it is blessed.  Maybe the Shulamite woman did not
say "fuck me", but she did say she wanted to sex Solomon up nine ways to Sunday,
and he responds with a hell-to-breakfast buffet of his own.