Re: C.S. Lewis Revisited

> I do not think that Christians get "hung up" on Lewis using the words
> "damn" and "ass". And I am a Christian, and most Christians I know don't
> have a problem with it. However, many Christians admire Lewis so much
> that they are willing to overlook this. I know of people who would not
> have a problem with Lewis saying something like "damn", but if someone
> else did(say Stephen King), their opinion of him would be lowered
> because of his choice of words.

Well, there are *lots* of reasons why their opinion of Stephen King might
take a nosedive.  :)  This reminds me of the Harry Potter controversy,
actually; one of the reasons I've heard why parents object to the books is
that they have a bit of language in them.  Well, I don't quite get that,
cuz in the first three books (I haven't read the fourth one yet), I think
I counted no more than two "damns" and two "gits" (and how vulgar is
*that*, anyway?) per book.  (The bigger objection, of course, is that the
book makes wizards into heroes, and there's a certain brand of Christian
that doesn't care for that; but Lewis did this, too, IIRC, essentially
putting Merlin on the side of the angels in _That Hideous Strength_.)

--- Peter T. Chattaway ------------------------ petert at interchg_ubc.ca ---