Re: Linford's potty pen

--- "J. Marie Hall" <fionaeval at yahoo_com> wrote:

> okay, but what's the difference with random cursing
> out of frustration and using such words in a
> poem...with regard to that responsibility?

Actually the distinction I was making had to do with
the audence.  My random cursing in the car is heard by
no one and is intended for no one.  A published poem
is intentionally public.

 and why
> does it matter (as an affirmation) that your friends
> accept it and are not offended

It matters a lot.  My whole point has to do with
offense.  If my friend isn't offended, no harm is
done.  If what I say does offend someone, there is the
potential for harm.  The problem is, there's no way I
can really know who will be offended and who won't, so
I should probably refrain from using the word
altogether and substitute something like "piffle!" or
"ragglefudd!"

> responsibility doesn't end with the public
> boundaries.
>  your private life very much informs your public one
> anyway :)

I think you're right.  If what comes out of my mouth
in the private moments is problematic - at least to me
- then there is a larger problem somewhere, my heart
or whatever, that will affect my public relations.  As
I stated earlier, all this comes out of the overflow
of our hearts.

> you know, human beings who are christians have to
> fall
> from their esteemed pedestals anyway :)

True, but it's horrible when they crush others on
their way down.

> i know that they are delicate and younger than you
> (you have middle schoolers, right?).

Actually, they are high school.  But it's not their
youth or "innocence" that concerns me as much as their
fragile faith.

Hasta la taco!

Kelvin

=====
"I never much liked flying,
The job requires trying;
The hard part's avoiding buildings and concrete."
              -- Ellis Paul