Re: Christisan art

In a message dated 10/25/00 11:57:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
MISHLERJ at PRODIGY_NET writes:

<<
 Couldn't agree with Kevin more, but the sad truth is that the "born again
 sub-culture" by-and-large, produces sub-par art.  This is not a
 generalization, just an observation over the last 15 years of my life.

That's why I started my letter as I did.  The Christian ghetto, or Born again
subculture as you call it, is very stifling to creativity.  There is tons of
historical baggage especially among Protestants, because of their rebellion
against Iconography, suspicion of all things worldly, skepticism of the
imagination, the separation of secular and sacred, etc., etc., that makes it
so.  At least from what little I've read that's how I understand it.  But
right alongside that in the Christian tradition there has always been a very
high view, if not one of the highest, that our yearnings to create beauty
comes directly from God even when not acknowledged by the creator.  Problem
is the predominant squeaky wheel so to speak in America has been the first
strain so that's what is readily seen by the majority and the media.

 Also, I must reiterate Kevin's suggestion to subscribe to "Image"
  www.imagejournal.org ).  I feel comfortable saying everyone on this list
 would enjoy it.

 Jay >>

 Yes, it is an excellent overview of the second and less commercial strain of
the
modern spiritual imagination.  It gives representation to all facets of
creative endeavors. Fiction, poetry, painting, music, architecture...
Christian humanism in the best sense of the word.  Another excellent
periodical y'all might like to check into is Christianity and the Arts.