pre otr stuff

> fred...
>
> 1987 was not a great time to start trying to work one's way through
> popular music.  Thus we begin with Def Leppard (I still love
> "Hysteria,"dangit)

well, let's see - in 1987... i was pretty little and interested in trees
the outdoors and bugs... etc.

music? i didn't know there was anything other than classical, jazz
mountain music and good mexican music. the only thing that might have
rounded out my expecrience was the kind of music you hear in a very very
strict church. no drums. pity.  no rounding of words. shame.  nothing but
straight pitch and good honest 4/4 rhythm.

at home we loved drums - but didn't hear them much.

until... o about my last year in high school around 74 or so - i heard a
song by Paul Simon - Under African Skies. i was amazed. it was wonderful.
it filled hollow spots. i knew music wa smore than what i'd heard - anyone
who takes music lessons knows that. i knew that.

so for about a year i listened to top 40 stuff and was disappointed that
it all didn't sound like that.

came to Taylor. heard Good Dog Bad God. wow. hooked. i was in the back
room, and i came out in a hurry - yanked from my programming. i *had* to
know who that was....

from there it was Pink Floyd and Indigo Girls and Ani DiFranco. and Pap
Wemba and Olver Mutukutzi. Ibrahim ferer. Deep Forest. etc. of course,
thigns like Cush and Mike Knott. too many to list really...

o. and Urban Hillbilly Quartet - hopped up bluegrass. (:

i love music for the sake of beauty. OTR fills it and gives me a
benchmark.

rhys

--
Not all who wander are lost. JRR Tolkein