Re: Re: good music bad music

On Fri, 12 May 2000 00:36:37 EDT Gilhamilton at aol_com wrote:

--  I think sometimes it's not so much the things above that are critisized
(not always, you do have a legit beef) as much as when everything is all
wrapped up in a sweet sacharine little lie. I'm thinking of a lot of CCM as a
good example. It presents a world where "everythng is beautiful", nothing bad
can get in, noone dies, get's sick, divorced, abused, etc. etc. Kind of like
television commercials--

See, now you're talking about something totally different.  That's exactly why I abhor so much of CCM - even though it helps put food on my table.  With CCM, it's not just a matter of nice & happy versus realistic, it's about people claiming to do something that they just aren't.  So many of them claim to be about reaching a lost world that they know nothing about and instead offering happy platitudes that will sell records to Christian kids and housewives.

-- Himmelman, Heard, Vigilantes, etc. are often lyrically dark because
they are injecting their songs with the pain and joy of the life they are
living. They attempt to live on the edge of their experiences, putting
themselves out on the front lines for their art--

And they are brilliant!